Saturday, December 30, 2006

What this is

For those who don’t already know, and for the further entertainment of those who do, I have decided to spend (at least) the first half of 2007 in Israel. This blog will chronicle my experience. I hope to update at least a few times a week, if not more. I am sorry to say that I am not as cool as Ali Decker, and cannot forsee myself sending out mass e-mails, however, I have set up this blog in lieu of this and PROMISE to update (for fans of my last blog...all 3 of you...I will do so this time). So check back and make sure to post. If you want to know, you have to check!

So what will I be doing over there? Well, a few things. On January 3 I am leaving for Israel on a birthright trip. For those of you who don't know what that is, it is a free trip offered to Jewish young adults aged 18-26. I will be spending 10 days in Israel as a tourist, seeing EVERYTHING. It is truely an experience in every sense of the word by all accounts, but I am sure I wil be able to better describe it after I have done it.

When birthright ends, I am immediately beginning a volunteer program called the Israel Service Corps: Community Involvement. It is a five month program that lasts from January 15-June 7, in a town called Ramla, about 10 or 20 minutes away from Tel-Aviv. The people in the current program say it’s close enough to go into Tel-Aviv for sushi or to go out for the evening. I will be living in a house provided by the organization (ISC) with the 10 other participants. The volunteering will consist mostly of teaching kids and high school students in an underprivileged community, as well as starting after school programs in whatever area we happen to be interested or adept. Mostly it’s just a way to help the kids with their English and be there for them. The organizers drooled a little when they heard about my theatre/artistic background. When I told them I had experience living with people (who knew sorority living was going to get me somewhere?) they wanted to know all about the handling of chores. When I told them I had 11 years of day school they started speaking Hebrew…well, in short sentences. Actually, the program also comes equipped with Ulpan, otherwise known as really intensive Hebrew classes.

So, yes, five months. And then what? You may ask. Well, my cousin, John Reed’s bar-mitzvah will be held in Melbourne, Australia on June 30. I am planning on flying down under from Israel, and the question is where I fly to from Australia. I couldn’t care less about that now. Everyone says Israel changes your life so I’m waiting to get over there and see what happens. I have not ruled out the possibility that I will return to Israel for another program, make Aliyah (move to Israel), or continue my education there...but I am leaving everything completely open ended.

So, that’s the news from my life. I do want you all to know that the website for the program, www.iscramla.com should have a bio for me soonish (if I ever send it in) and I guess we’ll have a group blog once we get there. If you want to see group photos from my birthright trip, go to www.israelfree.com, click "Group Center" and click on "BR 497" which is my birthright trip.

One last thing. I will have internet access at the house in Ramla, so please please PLEASE send me e-mails letting me know how you all are doing and what is up in your lives, as well. I may not be AIM-erific, but I will still be curious.

Lots of peace and love and best wishes for a happy new year,
Kate

P.S. I have to give a shout out to Splay for making the picture work on this website. Yay doppy!

4 comments:

Punk-Coder said...

Good luck on your trip and I look forward to hearing from you soon ;). I hope that everything goes well on the plane trip, and the food isn't too aweful. I never really was a fan of airline food.

Count me as a fan... I added your blog to my blogroll. Beyond that I think I have our first comment ;). Be cool, safe and I will talk to you on the other side.

Sara said...

Thanks for the shout-out! Miss ya already!

The Noogerator said...

Nice to hear from you Katie. Sounds like a great 2007. Stay safe and enjoy yourself.

PS I never got around to thanking you for the phobia book - so "thank you".

Unknown said...

Hey, Kate! All my ???????'s got answered by thelinksto birthright and israel service corp. Even got to see a pic of you on arrival! Thanks and love. Mom